Tuesday, July 15, 2014

On Prayer

Not to say I know it all,in the least (because, I absolutely do NOT!...I'm continually learning,and OK with that!) but, I have learned 2 MAJOR things that have transformed my prayer life, and that I'd like to share...mainly because I wish I'd "got" them sooner. :-)

  1. The first transformed my PERSONAL prayer time.
 "Prayer is summed up in the practice of His presence." - John Crowder
"We should fix ourselves firmly in the presence of God by conversing all the time with Him...we should feed our soul with a lofty conception of God and from that derive great joy in being his." -Brother Lawrence 
“That we should establish ourselves in a sense of GOD’s Presence, by continually conversing with Him. That it was a shameful thing to quit His conversation, to think of trifles and fooleries.” -BL
“That his prayer was nothing else but a sense of the presence of GOD, his soul being at that time insensible to everything but Divine love: and that when the appointed times of prayer were past, he found no difference, because he still continued with GOD, praising and blessing Him with all his might, so that he passed his life in continual joy; yet hoped that GOD would give him somewhat to suffer, when he should grow stronger.” -BL

 
Basically, Prayer is just simple conversation with our counselor, creator, friend, advocate, lover, and father. The pomp and circumstance of the modern church with prayer isn't really necessary. Prayer is more like (to me...) curling up on the couch with a cup of coffee, a bag of chocolate, and talking to a good friend, sharing the highs and the lows of life, listening and talking...giving and receiving...laughing and crying. And when the lovely coffee date "morning prayer closet time" is over? This friend doesn't leave. NOPE, He sticks closer than a brother. He's available as you're nervously driving to a job interview to give you peace, or when your overwhelmed with situations and need wisdom. Or when you feel lonely. This friend doesn't have other responsibilities, doesn't have to tend to other matters, and doesn't have to have "me time". In fact, there's NOTHING this friend enjoys more than spending time with,and spoiling and loving on YOU!



2.The second transformed how I prayed for others.





We know we're to pray for one another, and we WANT to... but one major hold up for me in the past was WHAT and HOW to pray! The Teacher lovingly showed me...just ask.

  • There were times I prayed what I thought were good prayers...Jesus heal her. Save Him. Help them.Protect me.
  • Then I prayed simply "thy will be done". 
  • Now, I've learned to ask....
The first two are good. But,the other day, I had a "AHA" moment with the third. I felt led to pray for a specific person,  but had know way to contact them with what their needs were. So,the conversation (see point 1!) went like this:

  • Father, what's on your heart?
  • I want you to pray for ******
  • OK... but I don't know what they need? 
  • Ask.
  • OK....Father, what does ****** need?
  • Wisdom. They need Wisdom. 
At this point, I was able to use the verses I knew about wisdom to pray for this person.


Psalm 37:30

The mouth of the righteous man utters wisdom, and his tongue speaks what is just.

James 1:5

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

Psalm 111:10 

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom


Friends, I hope you find this encouraging and helpful  ...and I'd love to hear anything that has transformed your prayer life.Please share! 



No comments:

Post a Comment